The ultimate "friendly experiencer?" That would be Anthony Braxton.
I can't bring myself to call Mr. Braxton a musician because it's just too damn confining. Yes, he plays multiple reed instruments virtuosically and with astonishing originality. Yes, his improvisational skill and composing talent defy description.
- Composition for multiple orchestras on multiple planets? Check.
- Composition for over 100 tubas? Check.
- 3 volume Tri-Axium Writings and 5 volume Composition Notes adding up to some 3,000 pages? Check.
- Several generations of musicians who would or have followed him off a cliff? Check.
- Is this just a tiny sample of his output and contribution to the greater good? Check.
And yet his greatest achievement is his lifelong journey to define, commit to and propagate an alternate way of living in and looking at this world. He gives you a choice. You can either leap with him towards conceptual insanity as defined by convention and enjoy the thrill of having your worldview turned upside-down or cling to your preconceived notions of "acceptable" sounds, performance practices, and philosophical frames of reference in which case it's all literally and figuratively nails on a chalkboard.
The next precipice is tomorrow night. I'll be in the front, jumping.